- While ConfigMgr 2007 is 32-bit, v.Next is 64-bit Native only! (some may require W2k8 R2)
- Mobile Device Manager is built-in (so the product itself doesn't exist anymore)
- SQL Server 2008 64-bit is required for the ConfigMgr database!
- SQL Reporting Services is the only reporting platform, instead of standard reporting
- Distribution groups are added for administrative purpose
- The default "All" collections is minimized to All Systems only!
- Advertisements are renamed into Deployments (and positioned better, because they were beneath Software Distribution in 2007)
- Improvements to OS Deployment and Remote Control (now possible with the usage of CTRL-ALT-DEL)
- There are some new System roles in it: Software Catalog Web Service Point, Software Catalog Web Site Point, Mobile device enrollment proxy point, Mobile device enrollment point (because of Mobile Device Manager functionality)
- A migration from ConfigMgr 2007 will be a clean install, not an in-place installation!
- Desired Configuration Management and Asset Intelligence roles are integrated into a “Assets and Compliance” tab
- Software Updates auto-deployment (including Forefront definitions)!
- The product is more user-based instead of computer-based! (e.g. software distribution to users)
- And last but not least: v.Next looks like a real System Center product, and not like SMS 2003 ;o)
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
New functionality in ConfigMgr 2012 (vNext)
Now ConfigMgr R3 is released we must wait for ConfigMgr v.Next to get new functionality. Here is a (small) list of changes between ConfigMgr 2007 and v.Next: