Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Application Catalog - Cannot Connect to the Application Server

Today there was a issue with the Application Catalog. When starting the Application Catalog from Software Center the following error was displayed: "Cannot Connect to the Application Server". Strange thing because it was working earlier fine.


Actions that I've done to investigate it:
  • Uninstall both Application Catalog roles
  • Check SMSPORTALWEBSetup.log and SMSAWEBSVCSetup.log in the Configuration Manager folder to track the uninstall progress
  • Install both Application Catalog roles with defaults
  • Run %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe /-i –enable
  • Solution from SithaYuvaraj

Looking on MS TechNet I found the following post: SCCM 2012 App Catalog Web Page Error

For me this did the trick:
  • Adding SYSTEM and/or Local Service account permissions on the Windows\Temp folder

After that the Application Catalog is running fine again! This permissions are needed to let SYSTEM and/or Local Service write to the folder.

Update 29-2: As mentioned on SithaYuvaraj, If you have IPV6 enabled on the SCCM server you may run into this issue as well. Disabling it (or configure it again) resolves this issue!

14 comments:

  1. Permissions issue on the Temp folder worked for me. Never would have found that one without your help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for feedback. Great I could help you this way!

      Delete
  2. Been looking all day and tried many things, followed what you said and changed permissions on the temp folder and 'hey presto' it worked.

    Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for feedback. Glad I could helped you out here!

      Delete
  3. I had the same issue here, but Henks tip put me on the right track.

    When I read the Solution from SithaYuvaraj I noticed that the Default connection in IIS string was missing. There was a connection string named LocalSqlServer. I changed the data source because it was completely wrong. I changed it to \.

    After that I refreshed the CMApplicationCatalog App and my browser window. That worked for me.

    Thanks Henk and SithaYuvaraj

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Hank. Had the same problem and sure enough adding the permissions to the Windows\Temp folder did the trick!

    Many thanks.

    - Joey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, meant "Henk" :)

      -Joey

      Delete
    2. Thanks for feedback. Easy but successful solution :)

      Delete
  5. You've made my day!! don't understand why granting local service account full permissions to temp folder works, but it does)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just my pleasure! For it seems still valid.

      Delete
  6. Wow, This worked perfectly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete