Last week my colleague had an issue with his local Windows 8.1 installation. For this case of emergency, Always make sure you have a bootable USB device with Windows 8.x in your pocket. In this blogpost I explain how to create one. Let's have a look how to repair Windows 8.x from a bootable USB device.
Just start your system with this bootable USB-device for installation/ upgrade or refresh/ reset actions. Then start the following actions:
1. Choose "Language to install", "Time and currency format" and "Keyboard or input method".
2. Then choose "Repair your computer", NOT "Install now".
3. At "Choose an option" select "Troubleshoot" and then "Advanced options".
4. Choose "Startup Repair", Operating System Windows 8.x first, which doesn't actually fixed the issue (Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC).
5. Choose "Advanced options" after the issue instead of shutdown.
6. At "Choose an option" select "Troubleshoot" and then "Advanced options".
7. Choose "Command Prompt" and type the following lines:
8. Start your PC again and the issue should be fixed now.
Hope it helps!
Thanks to Frans Oudendorp (@oudendorp) for this one!